Mold. It’s the dreaded four-letter word of home ownership. While no one likes to deal with mold, the fact is that most homes and homeowners do deal with this issue on a regular basis. There are many different kinds of mold, with some being much worse than others. Black mold is the most well known for being harmful to humans and animals and should be handed by a professional immediately.
There are different ways to remove mold from your home on your own, however enlisting the assistance of a professional remediation company like Water Out is highly recommended for best results.
How to Remove Mold Yourself
The first rule of thumb for DIY mold removal is simple – if the area infected by mold is larger than 10 square feet – do not attempt cleaning on your own. If the area is less than this, proceed with caution in the removal of the mold problem!
It is vital that you protect yourself before diving into cleaning up. Use proper gloves, eye protection, and clothing covers before you begin working with any cleansers or chemicals.
Use a bleach mixture. This is probably the most well-known method for killing mold. Using a mixture of bleach and water, it’s safe to scrub away mold on porous surfaces like wood, fabrics, and drywall – butonly if you dilute the bleach with water first. It is recommended 1 part bleach to 16 parts water.
Cleaning mold with vinegar is another tried and true method that’s a great alternative to chemical cleaning. Vinegar is non-toxic and doesn’t harm the environment! To use vinegar as a mold cleanser, simply use the vinegar itself – no need to dilute with water! Vinegar can be used on any surface. Just apply the vinegar to a rag or scrub brush and clean away. A word of warning – the smell of vinegar will travel quickly through your home!
Baking soda is an effective cleaning solution for mold issues. It’s a common and inexpensive household product that will help prevent future mold growth while deodorizing.
Another common household product is hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide will not only remove the mold, but will also kill any virus or bacteria. Fun fact – hydrogen actually penetrates better than bleach – so you get a deeper clean and more mold removal!
Professional Services with Water Out
While these are amazing do it yourself options to removing mold from your home, they are not the only ways to get rid of the mess. It is important to remember that mold is not something to keep untreated.
Mold is known to cause respiratory problems and can cause other illnesses in people and pets in the household. If you have a mold problem you cannot handle, the experts at Water Out specialize in mold remediation and home restoration.
We do not simply clean the mold from your home – we find the source and remove it – ensuring it will never return. Call us for more information and to schedule a home inspection today.